My beautiful Aidan...as I take your hand, and we walk through the garden of life, may I be ever open to seeing the world through your eyes...full of innocent wonder, delight and joy. As you take my hand, and we walk through the garden of life, may you be ever open to seeing the world through my eyes...full of gratitude, wisdom and peace. May we be blessed on our 'ramblings' together. Love, Nana

Saturday, February 12, 2011

"What a World! What a World!"

...So said the 'wicked witch' (really, people! NO such thing!) in the Wizard of Oz as she slowly melted away into oblivion.  I have found myself quoting those very words on many occasions over the years.  It's the 'hippie' in me.  The 'I can change the world' dreams from my life-defining days growing up in the '60's.  I really believed that back then.  Still do.  And in many ways, the world did change.  But not enough.  Children still starved.  Their parents died from disease.  Wars still raged on.  "What a world" indeed!

Like so many children of the '60's, everyday life got in the way...work, family, mortgages.  For most of us, our dreams and visions for the world somehow landed on the back burner of the day to day realities of life.  We quietly cheered on those among us who kept the dream alive.  Pleading peace...being the voice for those caught in the web of hunger, disease and war.  I did my little bit.  I donated to Amnesty International and Greenpeace.  I marched, with my little daughter in her stroller, with 'Parents for Peace'.  I thank the gods that my daughter has grown up with a strong sense of tolerance and compassion for her fellow humans (and other lifeforms!) on this planet.  That is my reward as a parent. 

And yet...I cannot help but wonder what the world will be like when my little Aidan grows up.  It is my hope and prayer that he too will have tolerance and compassion leading his way.  That will be my reward as a Nana.

'What a World'...will our children inherit?
Today, I watch the world in all its upheaval.  People are saying 'enough'!  Hell, look around...the planet herself is saying 'enough'!  Even while there are still wars raging on, and hunger and hurt still abound, I am today feeling just a little bit more hopeful for the first time in a very long time.

Along with the rest of the world, I have watched events unfold and history happen, these past two weeks in Egypt.  Watched her people say 'enough' and rise up in peaceful protest.  And win!  Good actually made it over evil!  What the hell is that about?  We are living in very interesting times!  There is still 'power with the people' to be found!  We have witnessed that these past few days. 
My heart bursts with joy for the people of Egypt.  I wish them well.  I wish them peace.  I wish them prosperity.  Isn't that all each of us really wants and needs in life, anyway?  I thank them.  They have given me hope, that maybe, just maybe, the world my little grandson inherits won't be quite so bad after all.


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post! I feel there is already and will be many more empowered children and adults out there that will shift the world to a better place in so many ways..they each have purpose and they will have the power to create amazing changes!

    ReplyDelete