My beautiful Aidan...as I take your hand, and we walk through the garden of life, may I be ever open to seeing the world through your eyes...full of innocent wonder, delight and joy. As you take my hand, and we walk through the garden of life, may you be ever open to seeing the world through my eyes...full of gratitude, wisdom and peace. May we be blessed on our 'ramblings' together. Love, Nana

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Fly! Fly, Little One!

I always wanted to be a dancer...or an artist (not that you can be one without the other!)  When I was young, ten or so, I'd spend hour upon hour in my nana's front parlour, in the dark, radio on, dancing my heart out until bedtime.  My Nana knew how I loved to dance then.  I still do. 

I sometimes wonder how different life might have been for me had I been allowed to explore my budding passion.  My parents, like most parents, went with the practical stuff.  Their advice was that I should study and train for something that would surely make me a living.  Something I could use out there in the 'real world'.  I do not fault them for this.  I did the same thing with my own daughter.  I should have known better.  I know of her longing.  I knew of my own longing.  And all the "what if's". 

But Aidan...he will be what he will be, whatever that may be!  As parents and grandparents, we must allow our children the freedom to choose, and trust them to figure out what they want to do with their lives.  Yes, we can guide them.  But we must give them a voice in their own destiny.  However difficult that may be as a parent.  Our children will make mistakes along the way, but those mistakes are part of life's lesson.  Our children may choose many different paths before they discover what truly feels good inside their own skin.  My daughter and I both know the folly of becoming anything more than that.

Doin' the Cha Cha!
So...fly my beautiful grandson!  Be whatever you want to be.  Your Momma and Nana will be the wind beneath your wings.  So too will all who dearly love you.  If you want to dance...then dance.  I'll dance with you!  If you want to make beautiful paintings...you will have the brushes and paint to take you there.  I may join you in that as well!

1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful heart warming post.full of wisdom and spirit! Hugs..

    ReplyDelete