My beautiful Aidan...as I take your hand, and we walk through the garden of life, may I be ever open to seeing the world through your eyes...full of innocent wonder, delight and joy. As you take my hand, and we walk through the garden of life, may you be ever open to seeing the world through my eyes...full of gratitude, wisdom and peace. May we be blessed on our 'ramblings' together. Love, Nana

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Top o' the Mornin'

A Happy St. Patrick's Day to you, my little grandson!  My Irish wish for you today:

May flowers always line your path,
and sunshine light your day.
May songbirds serenade you,
every step along the way.
May a rainbow run beside you,
in a sky that's always blue.
And may happiness fill your heart,
each day, your whole life through.

It's a great day for the Irish!
It was my English Nana who was such a presence in my childhood, yet I did have another 'Nana'.  My mother's mother.  My Irish 'granny'.  I may have grown up in England, but my happiest memories are of the times I spent in Ireland.  For each of my six week long summer holidays my parents would send me to Ireland to stay with my grandparents and visit my family.  Ahhhh...the warm baps my 'Granda' would fetch home from the bakery every morning.  Lathered in Irish butter, they were all I wanted for breakfast.  And my Granny's soups...served with a heaping bowl of boiled potatoes.  And oh...the hot, sweet tea!  Auntie's and Uncle's and cousins galore, who opened their hearts and homes to me.  Such wonderful memories!  

I want Aidan to know of his Irish family.  They are in his blood, and in my heart.  For now...I sing to him the songs of Ireland.  Just the happy ones!  (Yes, there are a few!)  His favourite song is called "Paddy McGinty"...

Paddy McGinty had a rubber doll!
He washed it and dried it...
and then he let it fall!
He sent for the doctor,
but the doctor wouldn't come...
because he had a pimple
on his wee bare bum!

Indeed, the words are not very upliftin' but they come with a lovely wee tune...and the feminist in me loves that wee Paddy would even have a doll at all, rubber or otherwise...and I'm hopin' and prayin' he didn't drop it on purpose...and I'm still trying to figure out who it is has the pimple on their wee bare bum...Paddy? the rubber doll? or the doctor?

Top o' the Mornin'
All this thinkin' calls for a we drop of Guinness (or two..or three!)  Cheers!


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful and inspiring post..gorgeous photos..aww..what a cutie!! Wonderful!
    I raise a glass with you..cheers!
    Victoria~

    ReplyDelete