My beautiful Aidan...as I take your hand, and we walk through the garden of life, may I be ever open to seeing the world through your eyes...full of innocent wonder, delight and joy. As you take my hand, and we walk through the garden of life, may you be ever open to seeing the world through my eyes...full of gratitude, wisdom and peace. May we be blessed on our 'ramblings' together. Love, Nana

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Sister's & Nana's Together Forever!

I have a sister.  We both have amazing daughters.  They each have a beautiful little son.  Our grandsons!  My sister and I...we are Nana's together, and sisters forever!


There's almost five years between us, me being the eldest.  We grew up with many similar influences in our lives, but also some very different ones.
I don't have many memories of my sister's arrival into this world.  'Back then' we didn't know, and we weren't told where babies came from.  They just showed up out of nowhere (though yet another five years later when my brother was born, we were told where he came from - he showed up in the midwife's blue bag!)

We weren't taught how to love each other.  We weren't shown how to care for each other.  It wasn't explained to us that we should treasure each other.  It's not anyone's fault.  It's just the way it was. It was the times.  It was a common belief that siblings naturally fought and argued with each other.  I think the grownups figured it was something kids just outgrew as they got older.  And in some ways they were right. 


As we grew up and moved through our lives...the loves, the relationships, the friends, and the kids...we did figure it out.   How to love, how to care and how to treasure each other.


My beautiful niece gave birth to her little son almost four years ago.  My beautiful daughter gave birth to her little son three months later.  My sister and I are Nana's to two adorable little boys!  The little love of my life calls my sister 'Nana Carol' and the little love of my sister's life calls me 'Nana Mari'.  All along we both thought we'd like 'our boys' to be girls...we thought about all the wisdom and power we would pass along to them.  Stuff we'd figured out from our own life experiences.  But we were both graced with little grandsons.  They will learn of our wisdom and power just the same, and grow to be amazing men. 

Emmet & Aidan
How blessed we are to have our little grandsons to love and cherish.  How blessed we are to have our beautiful, strong daughters.  How blessed we are to have each other! 


My sister is my best friend.  She is my confidant and advisor.  She is there for me always.  She raises me up.  She makes me laugh (so much!)  She listens to me rant and scream if I need to.  She is thoughtful and kind and generous.  She is indeed the wind beneath my wings.  I love her muchly.  I care for her deeply.  I treasure her presence in my life every day. 


2 comments:

  1. Yay!...Such a beautiful heart -touching post...lovely photos of you all..how special! I love everything you wrote...so true and so powerful! I too have sisters..I am blessed to have 3 older ones..and I treasure that bond deeply! thanks for such a beautiful post! here's to you and your sister!

    ReplyDelete