My beautiful Aidan...as I take your hand, and we walk through the garden of life, may I be ever open to seeing the world through your eyes...full of innocent wonder, delight and joy. As you take my hand, and we walk through the garden of life, may you be ever open to seeing the world through my eyes...full of gratitude, wisdom and peace. May we be blessed on our 'ramblings' together. Love, Nana

Saturday, March 19, 2011

I See the Moon...the Moon Sees Me!

I was happy to discover this evening, that I live in a town with many other 'crazy' people, just like me!

Braving the cold night air, husband in tow, coffee in hand, we strolled along the boardwalk awaiting this evenings 'moonrise'.  Tonight had been hailed in the local media as the night of the 'mega-moon' - that being when Mother Moon is closer to earth than usual...the last time this happened being eighteen years ago!  Higher tides and coastal flooding will occur, so say the media!

But for now, that is all forgotten as I sit on one of the huge boulders that border the lake edge.  Huddled together for warmth, the sounds of Canada Geese, and gently crashing waves in the background, while on the horizon the 'star' attraction slowly rises up out of the lake.  A huge, beautiful, luminous, golden ball of light!  A full moon.

I See the Moon...the Moon Sees Me!
I give thanks for the gift of time standing (almost) still, in awe of the beauty unfolding before me.  For just a little while, I forget about the bitter cold wind blowing around me.  Forget about all the upheaval and troubles going on in the world...and sing "I See the Moon...the Moon Sees Me!"

It was the first lullaby I sang to Aidan the day (well...that night!) he was born, cradled snug in my arms, just him and me, as his Momma slept.  He loves it still.  And on nights when he leaves to go home to bed, and the moon is up in the sky, as I carry him to the car, Nana has to sing...

I See the Moon...the Moon Sees Me
Under the shade of the old oak tree
Please bless the light that shines on me
Shine on the one I love

Goodnight Moon!  Goodnight Aidan!  Goodnight Nana!

Alas, the little love of my life was unable to attend the beach gathering this evening.  There were other social obligations...and anyway, it was just too cold!  So I sang for him, wherever he was.

Returning to the car, feeling quite like a popsicle, low and behold I discovered dozens of other 'crazy' people walking the beach, cameras and tripods in tow, enjoying this evenings celestial gift!

Many months ago I discovered the original recording of this lullaby.  Sounding distinctly 'un-lullaby-ish', and indeed sung by some other 'crazy' people, it is, nevertheless, very funny!  Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment