My beautiful Aidan...as I take your hand, and we walk through the garden of life, may I be ever open to seeing the world through your eyes...full of innocent wonder, delight and joy. As you take my hand, and we walk through the garden of life, may you be ever open to seeing the world through my eyes...full of gratitude, wisdom and peace. May we be blessed on our 'ramblings' together. Love, Nana

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Happy Birthday, Mrs. Bond!

Today is my daughter's third grade teachers birthday!  She is 84 today!  She taught my daughter twenty-five years ago.  Beyond the reading and writing, are the lessons my daughter carries with her today.  We keep in touch.  We visit in the summertime.  She is an amazing lady, and remains an inspiration to us both.

Recently, there was a story in one of our newspapers regarding a woman who was about to graduate from University.  She credited her success to one of her early teachers, who took the time to encourage her to be her best.  The writer wanted to find her teacher, after so many years, to thank her.  So she wrote to the newspaper with her story.  The newspaper, in turn, launched a 'Lost Teacher Story' contest.

While my own daughter's amazing teacher story didn't quite qualify for the contest, I nevertheless felt inspired to share her story, excerpts of which follow:

"Bravo to Ms. G for her amazing accomplishments, and Bravo to Mrs. C for her dedication and inspiration all those years ago.  I hope they soon have an opportunity to re-unite!"
"I'm sure there are many teachers out there who are unaware of the legacy they have passed on to their students by being such positive role models.  In this fast-paced world we live in, it is sometimes difficult for parents to find sufficient time to dedicate to inspire their children to read."
"I have a similar story to share, although it is unlikely to qualify for the 'Lost Teacher Contest'."
"Back in the early 1980's my daughter Erin attended Birch Cliff Public School in Scarborough.  Her kindergarten teacher, Ms. Chu was amazing, and Erin loved going to school.  However, grades 1 and 2 were another story.  Her teacher, which she had for both grades, seemed to lack that special quality that so many teachers take to their job - a genuine love of children, and a genuine desire to reach out and inspire as many students as possible.  Erin was withdrawn and sad during those two years, and her self-esteem gradually withered, try as I may to encourage her with her homework."
She began grade 3 as a very shy little girl, unsure of her self-worth and her ability to keep up with her fellow classmates.  That soon changed!  Her teacher, Mrs. Bond, took her under her wing (for she is truly an angel!) and took the time, patience and enery to bring Erin out of the 'cocoon' she was in, and release her beautiful 'inner butterfly.'  Her reading skills soared...her self-esteem soared...her happiness soared!  As a mother, I was beyond grateful for the change in my child.  Mrs. Bond taught Erin, and all the other lucky little ones who were in her class, for two years.  Two transformative years.  And while my daughter had her share of encounters with other teachers throughout her school career, it is the positive influences of those teachers who encouraged her that has stayed with her and contributed to her success as a good person, a loving daughter, a caring partner, and now, an amazing momma to my little grandson, Aidan."
Student and Teacher!
"We have stayed in touch with Mrs. Bond through all the years since Erin was her student!  Christmas cards and letters, emails and visits.  Mrs. Bond was at Erin's high school graduation.  She travelled a long distance to attend her wedding.  I don't know if she really knows how much of an honour for us her being there was.  I hope so."
"Retired from teaching now for many years, Mrs. Bond continues to inspire and bring out the best in people.  When not travelling around Canada, she spends her time teaching writing workshops at her local library, and writing her own collection of books of her early years growing up in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia."
"While visiting last summer, I harvested every copy of Mrs. Bond's books!  They have been well read, and now sit on my bookshelf, a concrete legacy, not only for my daughter, but also for my grandson."
"I will tell him of Mrs. Bond.  How good and kind she was to his momma when she was in school all those years ago.  It is my wish that he too will encounter such an amazing teacher in his travels through public school.  I will hopefully draw upon her patience and skill to instill in my grandson a love and passion for reading. 'Paying it Forward' her legacy will continue to live on.  Thank You, Mrs. Bond!"

And a VERY Happy Birthday to you!

1 comment:

  1. Wow..this is so special...beautiful and inspiring! Wonderful post..very touching!

    Happpy Mabon..wishing you magic and blessings
    victoria

    ReplyDelete