My beautiful Aidan...as I take your hand, and we walk through the garden of life, may I be ever open to seeing the world through your eyes...full of innocent wonder, delight and joy. As you take my hand, and we walk through the garden of life, may you be ever open to seeing the world through my eyes...full of gratitude, wisdom and peace. May we be blessed on our 'ramblings' together. Love, Nana

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Be The Change!

Several weeks ago the little love of my life brought home a flyer from school, inviting parents (and Nana's!) to an upcoming conference presented by the local school board.  My daughter is already in the habit of showing me, or letting me know about, anything Aidan brings home from school.  This recent flyer was entitled 'Raising Children Who Care - The World Needs Your Kid'.  The 'Parents as Partners' conference, held today, is an annual event, bringing together parents, kids and educators.

Since this is the first year of school for Aidan, it is the first year his momma and I were made aware of these annual events.  For me, attending was not an option, and my daughter, much to my delight, offered to join me.  The keynote speaker was Craig Kielburger, founder of Free The Children and co-founder of Me to We


I don't know where to begin!  I have admired and followed the work of this amazing human being for many years.  Craig first came to my attention in the late '90's.  It was in 1995, at the age of 12, that Craig saw a headline in a Toronto newspaper that read "Battled child labour, boy, 12, murdered".  The story was about a young boy named Iqbal Masih, living in Pakistan, who at the age of four (the same age as my little Aidan!) was 'sold' by his parents to a wealthy carpet maker, in exchange for the equivalent of twelve dollars, with the understanding that he could be returned to his family once the 'loan' was repaid, which of course, it never was!  Several years later, with the help of a humanitarian organization, Iqbal was freed from his captor, and went on, at the age of ten, to become an international figurehead for the fight against child labour.  In 1995, at the age of twelve, Iqbal was brutally murdered.

Angered by the newspaper article, Craig took it to school and presented it to his classmates, asking who of them would join him in bringing this injustice to peoples' attention.  Several of his fellow classmates volunteered, forming what would eventually become Free the Children which today has become an international organization in 45 countries; built over 650 schools; implemented many social programs within these developing countries, and is recognized and supported by a long list of celebrities such as the Dalai Lama, Oprah Winfrey, and Desmond Tutu.  In 2008, Craig, along with his brother Marc, co-founded Me to We which organizes camps and overseas trip for volunteer youth, as well as providing products for sale made by third-world country artisans.

At the 'ripe old age' of 28, Craig has become the driving force for young people to realize their potential for making positive change in the world, and practical ways to take action and become part of the solution.  He is truly an inspiration to many people of all ages!  His speech today was empowering, uplifting, and inspirational.  It renewed in me hope for our world, when all around us sometimes seems hopeless.


I can only hope my little Aidan will someday hear the call, and be inspired to reach out and help others so much more less fortunate than he.  I will, over the years, instill in him a strong sense of justice.  He will come to know his voice can and must be heard.  He will learn that by his actions, the world can become a better place for others.

Meeting Craig after the conference was a honour, and the highlight of our day.  My daughter and I both felt we were in the presence of a very special soul.  Such greatness and accomplishment from such humility and kindness! 


Craig was happy to sign the two books I had purchased, inscribing them, as requested, to my little Aidan, for they will be required reading at Nana's house!  "To Aidan...Be The Change!  Craig"

Thank you Craig...may my little grandson aspire to your greatness and passion to help his fellow human beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment